Go Back   Hags-club forums PC Discussion Hardware

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Atmosk is on a distinguished road

Default Kuhler 920

Has anyone seen this before? It's not horribly new, and I've really been thinking about getting one, but I am skeptical because I don't want to lose a couple thousand dollars worth of components from water damage.

Check it out if you haven't: http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704370&pid=17
Atmosk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
nubcake.net

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,483 Posts
Hagzor is a jewel in the roughHagzor is a jewel in the roughHagzor is a jewel in the rough

im using this one 2 years - http://www.corsair.com/us/hydro-seri...pu-cooler.html

works just fine, i guess it's all the same
Hags-Club socials:

Facebook | Twitter | Google+| Вконтакте

Follow!11
All news and cookies!
Hagzor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Atom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using some custom water-cooling equipment over here and I can tell you firsthand, your hardware doesn't necessarily get bricked when it gets wet (even when turned on!). Water itself is a worse electric conductor than you might think. It's the dissolved salt that makes it conductive, so when using distilled water you're all good. It's most likely that they used either distilled water or oil as coolant, so even if it breaks it won't damage your computer.

Mobile phone camera, fuck yeah:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Personally I'd go with the Corsair all-in-one solution if I were you. Antec isn't exactly known for great quality products.
Error 80004002
Extract the latest ClientData in your ClientData directory.

Error 577
If your game does not use an anti-cheat program, you may simply not use driver protection, otherwise you're better off patching your system.

Last edited by Atom; 02-10-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Atom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
kilxpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
I'm using some custom water-cooling equipment over here and I can tell you firsthand, your hardware doesn't necessarily get bricked when it gets wet (even when turned on!). Water itself is a worse electric conductor than you might think. It's the dissolved salt that makes it conductive, so when using distilled water you're all good. It's most likely that they used either distilled water or oil as coolant, so even if it breaks it won't damage your computer.

Mobile phone camera, fuck yeah:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Personally I'd go with the Corsair all-in-one solution if I were you. Antec isn't exactly known for great quality products.
100% agreed with this man... I have a custom loop and one time i had it leak all over my GPU(I used plain distilled water) and I had no problems whatsoever that GPU still runs perfect to this day.

And the leak was my own fault for not using the right tubing the wall thickness was too thin so it didnt fit snug on my barbs
kilxpj is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah I had a leak that damaged a lot of components once, which is why i'd rather go with a prebuilt solution.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Prebuilt sucks ass though. You dont get any better performance than a high end air cooler on those little closed loop set ups because the pumps suck ass and flow way to slow.

I dunno I dont have an issues, sure it can be a pain to plan and execute your loop but... Its a hobby so you should find it fun, I do! And I would much rather be able to run 5ghz on an i7 than 4.5 on a closed loot melting the dye.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

There is a limit to which the pump and radiator can expel heat. For example: you could have a pool full of water and a pool pump and a car radiator with 4ft fans and you wouldn't get any improvements in temperature because of the heat transfer rate between copper and water.

h= Q/A*⌂T (we could be big nerds and actually find out the maximum size of a water supply, hose, pump, radiator/fan sizes to get maximum transfer)

(That's the little I remember from thermodynamics, might even be the wrong formula, I wanted to be a chemical engineer way back when)

So I'm guessing those pinner little coolers like the 920, might actually be enough to get some higher clocks. Either way, right now I'm stuck with stock clocks on an easy CPU to overclock and I want more.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Mojoguy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried those self-contained water-cooling units like the Hydro series etc. They sucked compared to pure air-flow cpu coolers.

currently using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118074

My cpu runs 9 C cooler than it did before with a Hydro Series.

Mojoguy01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tirade is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of getting this or the corsair h100 but will it be better than what i currently have which is the Notctua nh-d14?

Not my rig, but thats the cooler i have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d14a.jpg (200.4 KB, 11 views)
Tirade is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
I was thinking of getting this or the corsair h100 but will it be better than what i currently have which is the Notctua nh-d14?

Not my rig, but thats the cooler i have
No it wont, prebuilt systems suck ass. The pumps suck and the tubing is far to small to get rid of heat fast enough. You can argue thermaldynamics all you want atmosk a weeny h100 will never compare to a custom loop. 1/2inch ID tubing should always be used unless your case is small then the smallest you should ever go is 3/8 ID.

Noctua air cooler is better than the H100 so just stick with it unless your going to go custom loop with a proper pump,block and radiator.